Migration Photo Safaris Masai Mara (Kenya)
Masai Mara Migration Photo Safaris: What makes these safaris so special
Each year the Masai Mara planes play host to greatest animal migration on earth. In search of green grass, millions of Zebras and wildebeests gather at the bank of crocodile infested Mara river. It is a tough question they face, either to die without food or risk the deadly river to seek green pastures.On one hand, hungry crocodile wait for the wildebeest to enter the water, on the other, big cats like Lions, Leopards and Cheetahs wait patiently and suddenly spring in action.There is no other spectacular event on the Earth like wildebeest migration. Migration Photo Safaris in Masai Mara is any wildlife photographer’s dream come true.
During the migration period, the Lions, Leopards and Cheetahs are very active in daily activities like hunting. These big cats makes it an ideal location to photograph the annual migration. Photograph the stalking big cats , attacking their prey or the tender moments of Lion family where cubs playing with lioness. The vast African landscapes, sunrises and sunsets are to die for. Masai Mara has featured in several BBC, National Geographic documentaries over years. Fulfil the dream of photographing and watching these magnificent big cats of Africa and create pictures of lifetime.
The diversity of animals (Big Five – Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Cape Buffalos and Rhinos) and the popular Giraffes, Hyenas, Elands and Gazelles to name a few and huge number of birds are present in Masai Mara. Simply put, the annual wildebeest migration is a spectacular phenomenon not to be missed.
Is This Masai Mara Migration Photo Safari Trip For You?
1. We encourage photographers as well as non photographers to witness this spectacular show of nature. These safaris will provide you the long awaited opportunity to capture the greatest show on earth through your lens. There would be plenty of opportunities to ask question to the tour leader as well as to mingle with like minded nature lovers from all walks of life.
2. We dedicate lot of time to photography in the field. We will spend a lot of our time in capturing beautiful moments of wildlife with our cameras and also have enough time to keep the camera aside and just watch the animals as the drama unfold. Never miss a moment because morning, afternoon and night games drives gives us chance to photograph animals when they are most active. Our safari vehicles are radio fitted so we instantly get the information on any interesting wildlife activity happening in the park.
3. Every evening, we will grab a drink and go through each other’s images captured that day, in an informal image review sessions. This will enable all of us to improve our photography and techniques. There would be ample opportunities to talk to the tour leader and ask any specific question you may have.We will cover every aspect of photography (i.e Camera settings, Creative Compositions, Low light photography, Visual Storytelling, Preparing your mind and gear for the perfect shot, Post processing, preparation for wildlife photo competitions and much more)
4. It does not matter if you are a photographer or not. As long as you are interested in nature and animals, you and your partner will love these safaris. We understand that children enjoy being close to nature and are serious about developing their photography beyond hobby. We encourage them to join us however any participant under 18, who wish to participate in these safaris must be accompanied by an adult.
5. Masai Mara is a very rich and diverse place, which is full of life and colours. There will be plenty of time to enjoy wildlife and well as to photograph the vibrant Masai culture in a tribal visit. You can also opt for hot air ballon safaris (optional extra) which costs about GBP 375 and provides opportunities to capture aerial view of wildlife and landscapes.
Max 6 participants Only
Traveling in a small group is the best way to for photographic adventures and to experience the nature closely.
Keeping that in mind, we have only six people on each tour and each photographer gets a whole row of seat for comfortable ride and also to accomodate photography gear. This will ensure you would have plenty of space for shooting fast action as well as you would enjoy a comfortable ride. We’ll depart early in the morning to chase the best light, remain at a site of specific photographic interest to fully explore the potential, or move to a new destination when desired.
Reasons to choose our photographic safaris.
Those who love wildlife, photography or nature, clear there are advantages of going on a photographic safari.
- The biggest advantage is you don’t have to do extensive research about your destination. We already do that for you to find out best national parks for safari,
great lodges and internal logistics is also taken care of.
- You don’t have to worry about securing enrty permits for national parks and need not find out which entry point to enter the park.
- During the tour itself, your multilingual tour leader coordinates with the drivers, guides, rangers and local tribals (for rural visits etc).
- The tours are designed to give you smooth experience from the moment we welcome your at the airport till we drop you again to the airport for your return journey.
- When you go on a photography safari, you definitely improve your photography and post processing skills so the quality of your photographs goes up, aditionally, with the help of your photo tour leader, you can master the art of taking more and variety of pictures in short time, which makes your photography trip a great return on investment.
- The itiernary of these tours have been designed after many years of experience, so the tours have been designed to provide you maximum time in the field without wasting much time on transfers.
In summary, you can focus more on your improving photography and taking quality pictures, while we arragne the rest for you.
About your stay: Porini Lion Camp: Porini Lion Camp is located in the exclusive 33,000 acre Olare Motorogi Conservancy. This expansive conservancy, which borders the Masai Mara Game Reserve is home to an abundance of animals including the Big Cats for which the Mara is famous.
The Camp is situated along the banks of the Ntiakatiak River, a seasonal river with some permanent hippo pools near the camp. The camp is very exclusive and gives a real in the bush experience.
At camp guests enjoy morning, evening and night game drives in custom built 4×4’s. Sundowners at scenic viewing points, from where you can enjoy a drink watching the sun set over the Mara.
The Porini tents are spacious and each has an en-suite bathroom with flush toilet and safari shower. The camp gives the experience of real adventure in an exclusive private wilderness but with all the comforts required by discerning travellers. Food is excellent with home baked bread, fresh salads and high quality meals prepared by the camp Chefs. The chefs will be happy to cater for any dietary requirements (with prior notice)
The camp is strategically located close to the the park boundary. It also has its own airstrip for private charter flights between the Mara and Nairobi.
Please click on above link to see the virtual 360 degree tour of the camp and tents.
Suggested Schedule:Masai Mara Migration Photo Safaris
Day 1: All the participants fly to Nairobi and meet at Nairobi Serena Hotel on day 1 and introuduce each other. Detailed briefing of the week ahead will provided by the tour leader.
Day 2: After breakfast we all take a 45 mins small flight to Masai Mara from Wilson Airport and checkin at the camp. After lunch, we head for our first game drive.
Day 3: We will go for morning and afternoon game drives with lunch breaks in between. We will leave early and come back late if we see interesting activities happening during the herd crossing river so we are flexible on that. Between morning and afternoon gamedrives, we do photography review sessions, to learn new techniques, see each others work and to improve our skills.
Post processing sessions are organised during the week, which provides detailed Adobe lightroom tuition. One to One sessiosn are available on request, free of charge.
Day 4: Same as day 3
Day 5: Same as day 3
Day 6: Same as day 3
Day 7: Same as day 3
Day 8: After our morning game drive and lavish breakfast, we head back to the camp and say goodbye to the camp staff. We will then be transferred to the airstip and to take late morning flight to Nairobi.
Night Gamedrives: The camp is based in conservancy, which means there will be very few vehicle around us when we want to photograph animals. Due to high number of vehicles in the park , animals move to quiet conservancy areas where only our camp vehicles have access and other vehicles can’t come.
Wildlife is most active after dark so we will go for night game drives using infra red lights and take pictures.
What’s Included in the cost of Masai Mara Migration Photography Safari?
- One night stay at a 5 star Nairobi Hotel with dinner
- Flights to and from the Masai Mara from Nairobi
- All airport transfers and ground transportation of luggage
- All accommodation and all meals at Porini Camp
- All park fees
- Exclusive vehicles and qualified driver guides
- Flying Doctor emergency medical service
- Photography and Post processing tuition (Adobe Lightroom and photoshop)
The Extras (Not Included):
- International flights
- Personal Phone /Mobile calls
- Kenya visa (about USD $50)
- Tips and gratuities for camp staff and guides
- Malaria prevention tablets and Yellow fever vaccination
Tour Leaders: Perhaps the most important aspect of a photographic safari is your leader. All our photo safaris are personally hosted and lead by professional wildlife photographers.
We are a team of wildlife photographer and experienced photo safari leaders. We has spent years in the wilderness, following specific animals day after day for several months and witnessing extraordinary and rare to see behavior.
We has extensive first-hand knowledge on the behavior of many animals including Tigers, Leopards, Lions, Cheetahs and Elephants. Our tour leaders can explain photographic concepts in ways which are easy to understand and practice.
Apart from organising your photographic safaris, they will accompany to your destination, share his knowledge of wildlife as well as help you with expert tips on wildlife photography and post processing. He will be there to coordinate the driver, instructing him on best positioning, approach, timings, best lighting conditions etc.
Safari Dates: Migration Photo Safaris Masai Mara are very popular and sell out quickly. Below are the dates we have published so that you can reserve them online to avoid any disappointment.
Jul 2019: 13 Jul – 20 Jul 2019, 20 Jul – 27 Jul 2019, 27 Jul – 03 Aug 2019,
Aug 2019: 03 Aug – 10 Aug 2019, 10 Aug – 17 Aug 2019, 17 Aug – 24 Aug 2019, 24 Aug- 31 Aug 2019,
Sep 2019: 31 Aug – 7 Sep 2019, 7 Sep – 14 Sep 2019
Cost of Migration Photo Safari: The cost of this all-inclusive safari is GBP 3999 per person.
A single, optional supplement is available for GBP 299. Single supplements are optional for single travellers who want their own room and tent. Otherwise single travellers are paired with another single traveller of the same gender. Pay just 10% deposit today & reserve your place.Remaining 90% amount is payable 90 days before the safari.
These photographic safaris are very popular and we only have 6 places on each tour, it is highly recommended to reserve a place well in advance by paying the 10% deposit.
Financial Protection :
You Migration Photo Safaris Masai Mara has complete financial protection as you would be booking through a registered tour operator. Your money is 100% safe and if one of our suppliers goes bust, your money is fully protected.
Lens Hire: Lens hire is available in Masai mara during migration photo safaris, so that you do not need to worry about the hiring and returning it in your home country. It also eliminates the problem of weight restrictions.
Recommended Lenses for this photography safari:
- Long range lens: 200-400mm or 200-500mm / 100-400mm zoom lenses mounted (ideally) on a full frame body.
- Medium range lens 70-200mm
- (optional) Ultra wide angel lens 10-24mm , 17-40mm.
- (optional) 1.4x , 1.7x and 2x teleconverters
Bean bag for support is highly recommended for camera support. The camp staff would be providing their own however you can bring your own and the camp staff will be happy to fill it up for you.